Thursday, June 7, 2018

the boat...hatched!

Had to take advantage of the nice weather window and took today off to get the waterproofing before the next rain falls.

supplies waiting for me
getting some help from a 12 year old!
The first task was to get the roof ready with the 1/4" plywood (which I measured cut yesterday). (Oh and to set up my music with my awesome waterproof wireless solar
powered speakers! ;-) )
felt good to live my values with solar power!

Adding tar to stick the board to the paper from winter.





















I swept and cleaned off all debri (ha ha that's going to me the name of my "boat" things I make are "de bri" lol!)
then, I used a tar as an adhesive to stick the board to the paper that was temporary over winter. Once the boards were all laid out (focusing only on the loft today) I was then able to nail them down with the nail gun. 

Once the panels were in place I would FINALLY be able to cut the hole for the boat hatch.

Honestly, I was really nervous at first about messing it up....knowing it wouldn't be easy to fix a mess up with a too large hole on the outside of the house!

But, I really felt it was time for me to do it myself instead of relying on the local marina carpenter. So, after a few minute consult with him and using his hands to hold the hatch in place so I could draw an outline...I was on my own!
Looking amazing with all the panels in place!

Drilled the holes from inside, then went up top to draw the box.
I got a 1/2" drill and drilled very conservatively inside my line then went up top to fill in the box so I had something to follow (and be in a better position than looking up with shit falling down in my face).

I was way less nervous when I realized I could just use the jigsaw...I LOVE using the jigsaw, it's so easy and dare I say artistic!? 


Cutting it out by myself was really no big deal...especially at this stage. I'm really quite unphased my most of the tasks ahead of me...it's just time and effort at this point, but execution-wise it's amazing how my confidence has skyrocketed! 

One of my friends asked me the other day how I'm doing it alone...if I had support at all or was I researching constantly. To be honest, I stopped looking everything up online a long time ago and just kept trusting myself and learning from experience. 

It's nice too to have the experience and a second chance at the roof ....like my second chance at life right now. I'm doing things and

first pass at cutting the opening...proud moment!
I'm more aware of what was "wrong" the first time around. Instead of just hurrying through things to get them done, I really am taking the time necessary to go over all the fine details, knowing in the long run....it will eliminate leaks! ;-)
After a few passes with the saw, fitting the window in between each pass, I finally got it seated in...tight as a proper fitting glove!
tightly fitting boat hatch! so stoked!

Too bad it can't stay looking like a beautiful wooden deck!
It's quite elegant looking like this!



















I was a bit nervous about leaving it exposed like this all night, but the forecast was clear and I had to just trust it.

It was pretty amazing to see how much light that one hatch allowed to enter in. Much like opening our eyes or our heart or our minds....just a little opening can introduce a whole new perspective! 

I loved the process of finally unboxing my queen futon mattress that has been sitting around waiting for months! But, I was so glad I had it on hand waiting for me. I can't believe how different the whole home is starting to feel.

finally unrolled the queen futon and it's just as I dreamed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insurance at last!

I haven't given up. I just needed to walk away and take a break. So, I am walking 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine on the appalachian ...