Saturday, March 24, 2018

My mandala manifested

I have had this vision of my floating home ceiling for so long...
I really can hardly believe that the time has finally come...and like most long awaited things...it was  easier than I had anticipated!

I had dreamed about the steps I would take to accomplish this...,but along the way I started to burn out and feel like I should just do the easy thing....just get it done and move on. I had a nice talk with my friend Dawn this week after my trip to Italy telling her of the book I mentioned in yesterday’s  blog post. I told her I was thinking of taking the easy road on my ceiling and she flat out said NO! “You will do the harder thing because it will be better!” She reminded me. Oh how I love good friends! And she was right...she does know me. I thought about my dream and couldn’t compromise...I’m done compromising...I’m following my vision fully! And I’m soooooo glad I did!


It was a multi-step process starting with hand dying the duck canvas I bought to be the color I wanted. (A teal jade green aqua ish color) then I had to cut strips to fit between the beams so I could keep them exposed. I love the look of exposed beams.



 I actually totally enjoyed staying home from a mediocre ski weekend to do this “mundane” task. Nothing about it felt mundane....I was following my dream...and sometimes the destails of a dream seems mundane if you have the wrong attitude...but my Day way anything but mundane...it was magical!!! I listened to music and felt the scissors cutting the fabric...excited for once to follow a straight line. Each snip of the scissors brought me one step closer to seeing the ceiling done! And that means another dream manifested!
measuring and making my marks

cutting, cutting, cutting into my dream



After cutting the strips, I tested the outer beams to understand the installation process. It wasn’t entirely clear in my mind the best way to do it. So I did the first step I was sure about...staple it in on one side. When I was done it dawned on me I could just tuck it in like making a bed! It was brilliant! Now I have access to the space without undoing hardware just in case I end up needing to hide wires for overhead lighting there in the future! Perfect! I installed another section then started prepping the rest of the strips for the mandala stencil.



first...staple one side to the beam

then tuck it in for a beautiful tight look!
The prep involved another enjoyable task of folding all the sides in two inches (using a ruler and straight pins) to make sure the mandala was in the middle of the material. The sun was shining though the glass doors and the river view was breathtaking I was so happy there in that space doing exactly that! Damn I feel so fortunate!
pinning the sides in

After the prep work I was pretty jazzed to get the stenciling going. I could totally see me finishing this tonight and installing it tomorrow. And so, I taped the stencil on and did the first round...applying the Gesso to the canvas so the acrylic will not bleed through or stick to the floor. I have a feeling in this case I would have been fine without it, but felt I’d do what was recommended by the art teacher at UNH when I wandered in with my daughter a few weeks ago. I hadn’t even known the art store existed on camps, so when she called us in and told me about Gesso, I figured the universe gave me some good advice I’d better take!
everything lined up and pinned ready for stenciling.

After the Gesso went on I decided I liked the look of the white so much in the background color that we was going to stay simple with my original idea of white with hints of aqua.
round one: apply the Gesso

So the first layer was just rolling on a thick base of white, then using a sponge I dabbed on areas of aqua and refilled white on top to lessen the intensity (I’m intense enough for this project 😉).
final round: solid white with hints of aqua in random locations
....because I'm so random!

I love the results and am super stoked to see the dries results in the morning and install it all!
It's gonna look amazing...Check back tomorrow and see for yourself! 🙏😁






No comments:

Post a Comment

Insurance at last!

I haven't given up. I just needed to walk away and take a break. So, I am walking 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine on the appalachian ...