Monday, June 10, 2019

Delays to fortify

The marina called...

Feels like a joke should follow... But, no joke... They want me to fortify the structure where the pads of the truck lifts. They claim it will crush the boards that are currently there...

They claim that how the Wentworth graduate, with thirty years of construction and architectural engineering and design ( building and lifting multilevel apartment buildings), built it, it won't hold up. Just once I would like to try it and see before they ask for more changes.... I'd like the opportunity to see if the guy, who claims all the experience and know how, is right or wrong... Giving us all more or less confidence from seeing the result of his work....I just wish we could see...

Then it would be satisfying...
Either way...
To go straight into the water and have the marina learn a big lesson...
Or to go back to fortifying and have the carpenter learn a big lesson...

But now... Doing it this way... We will never really know.
I guess it mostly just makes the marina look right...a CYA move.

I know they want the move to be a success... But I am super disappointed that they didn't say anything about this to us in the past for months of building the damn thing... As we checked in periodically with then to make sure we were all on the same page.

Anyway, I have no choice right now... I'm at the marina's mercy.

I'm at a point though that I want to be involved in projects that I can do myself... It's been hard having to be so dependent on others this last phase of the project... Makes me feel so helpless, so much is out of my control.

So, tonight, after texting the carpenter, Steve, and my friend, Carlo, about the latest developments, I decided to not be so dependent again and I immediately called the local sawmill (Bartletts) and went and picked up two 14' 6x6 beans and one 10' er... all on my own with my awesome little work horse Prius.

As I slowly make my way back to the marina to unload I think about how I shall miss her dearly as I am in the process of trying to find her a  new home.

She has been such a huge part of my journey over the last decade and seen so much and helped me so much in so many ways.... She's the anti-lemon of cars and today, as we drove away from the  sawmill, I could feel the old girl smile with pride in all she has accomplished...where people didn't think she was capable of doing half of what I knew she could manage. I've briefed in her and she's never let me down and now I feel like I'm letting her down as I've made way in my driveway for her replacement... Not ready to move on... Wishing I had more time with her... because I know she's got many more years in her... But the pressure  around me to upgrade her... and the stories of safety and reliability pressuring me into acting now instead of waiting for signs it was time..

...I digress... For it touches my heart now more than at any other time, how she has never failed me.

So I snap back to the task at hand as I make a mental picture of my little metal work horse and thank her for her companion all these years... She's so impressively Strong and helpful!


The boards are big and heavy and I am no metal work horse... So I go cave woman and search for a tool to help me out... Luckily there are still plenty of plastic barrels lying around my work site so...

I use one to help me get all the board in place... And I cross my fingers Steve will be able to help me out tomorrow so we can keep Wednesdays schedule...

I'll wait and see... But not long... Maybe I'll have to finish this one on my own..

My little Prius believes in me... Maybe I should too.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Insurance at last!

I haven't given up. I just needed to walk away and take a break. So, I am walking 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine on the appalachian ...