Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Lofty plans

My night time dreams lately have been filled with completing specific tasks on the floating home so I will be ready for launch on time.

The next low hanging fruit was the loft ...and my dreams were telling me how to proceed! (Nice to have that guiding me right now!)

A quick chat with a friend confirmed my next moves so I went for it ...Jackson lumber was great about getting a delivery to me this afternoon and so I was able to get some of it going.

I Installed two ledger boards and a partial wall to support the loft. After holding up the 1/4 plywood to see what it would look like full size, I decided I wanted to keep it as open inside as possible so I’m going to cut it down to fit the 6 foot high loft. That wall will separate the bathroom from the living room couch while also allowing a nice spot for throwing cushions and settling in with a good book overlooking the river!

To support the open corner of the loft I will go out at some point this week and find a tree about six inches in diameter to use as a post. My goal is to have it ten feet tall to reach the top and get the feel of nature indoors! (If it’s not too heavy, otherwise I’ll cut it down to six feet for support under the loft floor)

After the loft install, I’ll be in a better position to figure out where the lighting and outlets will go.

I’ll also be building some storage cubes that will double as stairs to get to the loft. Exciting to see the inside shaping up!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Insurance at last!

I haven't given up. I just needed to walk away and take a break. So, I am walking 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine on the appalachian ...