Friday, June 8, 2018

water-(p)roofing day 1...


I have a daunting task ahead of me...
but I can see it done...TODAY and TOMORROW!



Today's goal was to get all the fabric prepped for the entire roof and get the first waterproof layer on the loft as well as get the main roof ready for waterproofing tomorrow.


cutting all the fabric and laying it out.

First trim out/flash the edges of the new drip-edge and the
boat hatch, then start the main layers

Once in the groove it went pretty smoothly!
 The idea with acrylic waterproofing is basically put one layer of paint down (which come to find out is very much like or maybe is an elastomeric paint) then a layer of fabric and then another layer of the grey paint. It's the same paint as the final white top coat, but the idea is when the grey starts to show you know it's time to add more acrylic.

It was suggested I order two 5 gallon containers of each but I'm starting to think it was WAY too much. We will see after tomorrow.

I trimmed out the edges and the boat hatch then started working with the larger fabric. I probably overlapped them more than necessary, but I had tons of material and figured it's better to overkill it rather than under protecting it...I've lived with the leaks now all spring and damn it I need them to never leak again!

I also decided to put the acrylic over the boat hatch to ensure no leaking around its base. Ian from Conservation Technologies recommended I do that too...and I feel positive about it. 



The end result of an all grey roof was great...All I could see was a big rubber glove wrapped around my roof that was going to be my protector in the storms ahead! A nice feeling of security I wanted for the main roof as well.

With that image in mind I set off to finish up installing the other boards. I went much faster now that I knew exactly what I was doing and had a good system in place. Trying to find a balance in my day and give myself an evening activity I had planned I also had a time limit! And I was determined to get the whole thing ready for painting before I had to call it off for the day. So, you can imagine my disappointment when the nail gun broke soon into the process. :-(

I ended up having to cut all the little plastic tabs off the nails so I could use the nails without having that shit embedded into the roof top....I screwed that up a couple of times on the upper deck that I didn't want to have mess up the lower roof since that would be the most walked upon. 

Due to the extra time taken to deal with all that, I did minimal securing of the boards so I could rush off to my activity for the evening. I had a big day coming tomorrow...time to start visualizing how the hell I was gonna get it all done!

glued down and nailed...manually, the
nail gun broke...had to do it old school!

Done securing it all. Tomorrow will be a BIG day!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Insurance at last!

I haven't given up. I just needed to walk away and take a break. So, I am walking 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine on the appalachian ...