Sunday, June 23, 2019

bow beam support

Today I was determined to finish off securing the beam to the drops I created to hold it, as well as finishing the 6x6 vertical supports the marina insists are in place to distribute the force of the lifting arms of the truck.

I spent the first part of the morning perfecting my saws all and saw skill skills with the 6x6 beam and was happy for the chance to do repeating tasks over and over to see my improvement.



 Once all the beams were sized and cut to fit their spots, I ran off to HD to grab some final hardware.














For the beams, I wanted to go with timber locks because it seemed the only option due to limited space issues. I also thought this might be good for the vertical supports as well for the same reason. However, after purchasing them all and not having the right drill bit, then going back and finding similar ones with a different head....I realized this would NOT be a good solution as even on the timber lock package I finally read "Not to be used within 1000 ft of marine environments".  Well, if that didn't change my mind big time!

So, back to the drawing board.
Take a break.....


My new favorite drink! :-)
no vodka....just pure chickweed juice! Yummy.


 When my break on the deck was over I realized I had more space in the bow than the aft, so tackling one problem at a time I focused on the one easier to solve (the best way to be productive). I realized I could use the 6x 1/2 inch stainless steel lag screws to go into the vertical beam on the side which worked out great for the first one, and had problems on the second one.
 I also managed to squeeze into the space enough to secure the top board to the 6x6 beam with the rest of the 6x 1/2 inch ss lag screw downwards...which was my original plan, but I didn't think I had the space once I re-assessed....at least now I do and am confident with the 5 bolts along the 14 foot span in place it will be fine.

Working on the second vertical support was a pain in the *ss. I couldn't hold it in place and drill at the same time no matter how hard I tried. I called Cambyr to come help me and only got her over because I had the all-powerful leverage...the Amazon Fire TV box (which I am in a habit of carrying around with me when I'm not at home now, for just such a purpose!). After two completely awkward and uncomfortable attempts, it ended up failing to settle to the bottom board. The layout was different on this one causing some issues...I had a new plan, but Cambyr left me without the hands I desperately needed. I was exhausted from crouching low all day and crawling on my knees and squatting and not really taking breaks to eat...was so focused on getting this done today. But I had to give up the ghost and let it be.

I was so tired from a late night last night and early morning/long day today, that I just collapsed and took a quick recovery nap....

me and my bed-mates.

view from the concrete bed

I still am hoping for a launch date this week...would be nice to be in before July...I mean I am paying for dock space at this point!

I was concerned that the work on the aft beam will be much more challenging since the drops are integrated into the row of barrels....but, inspiration struck last minute and I feel more optimistic finishing it off soon too!

Geez, look at me being so optimistic these days....

it's a funny thing about showing up with a vision... 
somehow, the embers are always there waiting to be ignited...
even when smoldering, there is an ember keeper from that vision...
and sometimes the wind in the movement from just showing up will be enough to light it again...

So keep showing up in your own vision....
no matter how slow it is going, no matter how hopeless it may seem at times.... 
where there is a WILL there IS a way....I just know it!

1 comment:

  1. Great problem solving! Hopefully launching day comes soon :-)

    ReplyDelete

Insurance at last!

I haven't given up. I just needed to walk away and take a break. So, I am walking 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine on the appalachian ...