Saturday, April 7, 2018

A place to sit

I felt really strongly today to put together my futon sleeper couch so I could have a place to sit and be. I knew I needed to put in the floor before I did this but had resisted putting in the same floor that I used earlier in the bathroom closet area. I wasn't thrilled with the feel of the laminate or entirely happy with the over all look. It's not bad.... It's just my vision was natural wood or bamboo or even cork. However, sometimes we have to look at our dreams and reassess them in order to realize them. Sometimes holding on to exacting minute details can stop or progress or even stop an intuitive flow. Often it's really about the big picture, the end feeling the project gives versus the exacting execution of the ideas. I've maintained my overall vision for this entire process and am thirties with the outcome to up to now. And I have realized that many of the decisions I have made that seem like a sort of compromise, really turned out to be the best way to learn what I needed to learn at that phase of the project.

These floors are the perfect example... This material really is the most practical material for the location. I feel strongly in the long run, this material will withstand the humid conditions, the any accidents with too much water coming in from swimming in the river (also a clear vision I have for the goal of this floating home), or even to protect against possible water infiltration when the whole structure is moved down the boat ramp into the water for the first time! Also with the amount of possible movement of this structure and the possibility of an undulating floor due to the surface of the water or the transition from the jack stands to the water. Not to mention the absolute rear of installation!

Suddenly I began to love all that this material would offer and support. It may seem man made and less "green" of a material, however, all material originated from the earth. This still has the life force of that original material it was within it... It is "green" pulsing with life... If I only choose to sit and feel it.

But I need a place to sit!

Back to the original desire. So I quickly and spontaneously decided to continue on with the same material, happy and invigorated with this choice once again, and took the creative freedom to simply change the color and the style to better suit the room. I chose a darker color too compliment the darker wood as well as not detract from all the lightness and color I plan to flood the room with layer.  I'm an designing this place with much light dark contrast to have a continual reminder around me of the light we need to have accompanied by the shadow... Both are a natural post of life and necessary to live and feel fully.

I got boards this time that week all the same width as the variable width was more labor intensive. I also decided to orient then in the other direction so the would extend along the long wall. It was great knowing either side would match up at the threshold of the first floor. It was a bit tricky to get the first row started, but because I've worked with this before I was determined to n name sure it was installed tight. It took a few tries of doing and undoing, but I finally got it where I wanted it and started the second row. As soon as I made it past my half wall I stopped work on the floor and started work on the futon. It cloud bite me in the ass later.... But I felt I could have it as getting this first piece of furniture in today was a goal I knew I could accomplish and very much needed.

I had most of  the boards laid out and strained ready to assemble so it went pretty quickly. I had taken pictures earlier when i planned the whole thing, so I just made sure I followed along before screwing it all together. It was hugely satisfying watching this thing come together and using the trees as legs. I love how it all came out and am so excited that I will have a nice place to sit and relax!

Starting off the new floor

The frame all out together!

Platform is on...Ready for the mattress!
 It's looking more livable now!
I really love how things are turning out and am excited to continue plugging away. I still have a ton to do before it is even close to being water ready, but I'm no longer anxious or pressure by it. I'm thoroughly enjoying this crazy ride and feel it's opened even more does than I imagined when u began this process. Not to mention the incredible amount of exclusive and skills I have accumulated during the process... Hugely contributing to my self reliance and confidence!

Action is everything! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insurance at last!

I haven't given up. I just needed to walk away and take a break. So, I am walking 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine on the appalachian ...