Friday, April 27, 2018

Some privacy, trimming and flooring

My last major work before my latest out of the country trip was working on the floor installation. I wanted to get back into it, but I also wanted to finish up the major interior carpentry to avoid sawdust getting all over the new floor (and in the cracks in those hard to reach places...if you know what I mean! ;-) )

So, I first worked to finish off the row of flooring that was unfinished when I last worked. I really have the system down now and it was easy, enjoyable and seamless....which is the ultimate goal more than even the look of the pieces together because we don't want our bare feet to feel those cracks!

I was very happy with my work and also decided to use a test piece of material on the table saw...I was using the scroll saw because I was worried the blade on the table saw would damage the material...thank goodness I did the test because it worked great and now I have nicer cuts and having it look more polished!


I didn't start the next row of flooring until I finished trimming out my kitchen octagon window. I had all the boards cut already and just needed to install them....hoping my cuts came out correct! At first I thought I really screwed up, however, after some quiet observation and realizing that a few of the boards were a few millimeters off I was able to fix them and love the result! (Thank goodness I learned from my previous efforts and used the big old outdoor screws instead of finish nails...made it easier to undo and fix my mistakes as well as update the trim in the future with a more creative design I have in mind)

before trim
after trim!

The most fun I had today was making curtain rods! I had a set of old used curtains that I had planned on using that had rods and mounting hardware but I couldn't find the rods/hardware anywhere! I looked for a few days baffled at where they could have gone....not like they were small and easy to hide! 

But, like all things in life it seems....it was fortuitous that I couldn't find them! Instead, I followed my inspiration and my heart and decided to find branches to continue to bring the outdoors in and truly make this home my dream!

I spent the morning searching the woods behind my house for the perfect branch. I was hoping for one to span the entire length...but knew it would be tricky to find one that long that would have the diameter that I needed for the holes in the curtains. I found a few candidates and while I pulled them out got the brilliant (and I'll admit Pinterest idea)  of also using the forking branches to hold up each "rod". As I cleaned off the bark it revealed secrets that nature had kept hidden to the unobservant eye!

Beautiful patterns created by the micro inhabitants of the forest were seen and added a depth of beauty and awe to my chosen materials! I was so excited with each inch of bark I excitedly removed...feeling as if I were Charlie looking for the Golden ticket to enter Willy Wonka's chocolate factory!

The sun was shining and warm, the birds were singing, I was so present in that moment, so happy to be right there doing what I was doing, I felt connected to the whole process and grateful to be so hugely involved in my own life. I was learning skills, learning about myself, about nature, how to work with nature as well as myself. It was a beautiful moment!

It didn't end there either! Bringing the materials and supplies to the site and taking my time to feel out how I wanted to install everything was so fun and even more satisfying when I stepped back to see the final result! Ahhhhhh happy again at the progress I am making!

the path of the curtains is similar to the path of my life!

love that i can drape them over the branches
to say hello to the world!

So thrilled with how it came out!
The last thing I needed to accomplish was the floor. Honestly, since I've gone in stages it's taken a bit longer, but it's been more enjoyable to break it up. And with getting the hang of it the next row went even smoother. Again, stoked to see the end result! I have one tiny section left and have just barely enough material to finish it! Yeah...there is some waste due to how I will have to cut them, but I will be using up the leftover material from the other floor color so that balanced it out. 


I also am using some of the leftover wood in my place to build a tiny wooden box that will fit the 6.5 inches sized wood I need for my stove. I will be using the experimental trim cuts I was playing with, which might actually make it a bit more artistic and whimsical than it would have been otherwise. 

But I'll need to save all those cuts and installation for tomorrow before I head up to Vermont for the weekend. (One last weekend of spring skiing to terminate the season! Hey, still gotta make time for physical pursuits/fun/exploration otherwise this whole thing would bog me down too much)

Now that I have a semi-locking door and privacy...I just need to finish the floor and then I will truly have a place to relax and recharge while I am still finishing up the work. I can't wait to move the futon mattress on to the futon couch/sleeper and add the throw pillows for a nice place to sit and have tea with my friends. I already have an enclosed incense box I brought back from Chile with me that I love to light when I am in there working and I've ordered a nice portable Bluetooth speaker to charge with my new mini solar panel array so the rest of my time will be filled with beautiful sounds to keep me company while I work and enjoy my little floating dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insurance at last!

I haven't given up. I just needed to walk away and take a break. So, I am walking 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine on the appalachian ...