Friday, May 25, 2018

roofing is ordered!

OMG....the next big phase for me is underway!

I just spoke with Ian from Conservation Technologies who has been patiently helping me along in this process. I wanted to do the EPDM rubber waterproofing system like Erin did on her tiny floating home, however, I have a trickier situation....the joists sticking out!

It's both an aesthetic and functional choice leaving the beams exposed....however, it is causing some headaches for finishing the roof off. I was looking into rooftop decks from tufdek but after going back and forth for a few weeks with Grant, we realized that their systems just wouldn't be water-tight with my design.

So, I went back to Ian my guy at Conservation Technologies and although he advised against the EPDM for the same reasons Grant did, he highly suggested the Acrylic option....and now, after painting and noticing the beginnings of rot on the outside edges of my roof plywood...I will do what it takes to get it all safely and tightly waterproofed....even if it takes extra effort and work!

So, I plan to do one roof at a time (or alternating while they dry) starting with the loft. I'm so excited because now I can finally get the boat hatch and the chimney in!

I'll be getting a white top because it is the coolest to walk on and keeps the house cooler in general plus, it will be like walking on a cloud in my little sky blue home! It will be arriving next week, hopefully in time to start on the weekend.

I'm really nervous about the application of it, but like all things on this project...taking one step at a time and things seems to work themselves out!

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Insurance at last!

I haven't given up. I just needed to walk away and take a break. So, I am walking 2,000+ miles from Georgia to Maine on the appalachian ...